Saturday 8 July 2017

Bases...

Hi everyone and welcome to this weekend update... This weekend I want to chat about bases and what I have been doing in between painting my Poxwalkers this week... So bases sound simply right??? A round disk or square one depending on which game you play.... And yes you are right they are... But it is what you do to them which makes the difference between a ok mini and a great or even awesome mini... Now It all depends on what you have in mind for them... Some people use cork and build up their bases... Some use sand and some use paints and special paints.. and some even use a mix of all three.... There is no hard and fast rules on what you want to use or do for your bases.... So for me I will be using a special paint called Agrellan Earth... It is a texture paint that you paint on your base and it dry and cracks to form cracked earth.... I like this paint for this reason....



Now I paint the top of my base in Rhinox Hide first so if the texture paint does crack and break of in parts it wont show the black base... Now you can leave it at that with the Rhinox Hide and paint the side in what ever colour you wish and that is base done for the table top.... But I don't I take it up a notch and paint it the texture paint.... Now this texture paint can take any where from a hour to a few to dry and cracking depending on the heat and how much you put on...I like to leave my bases a full twenty four hours before I move on to the next steps...




Now you can leave it at that, with the texture paint ... Just paint the side in what ever colour you wish and that is base done for the table top.... But I like to take a few more steps... Next give each base a good coat of Agrax Earthshade..I leave this for a hour to dry... Then next its time to crack out the drybrush paint... I Ike to use Terminatus Stone over Agrellan Earth... Just to break it up and give it some texture.




Right the next step is to place flock turfs on the base to add some form of vegetation to it... Again you don't have to do this you could use micro rocks or bits of building...it is up to your imagination....In this case I am using these dead turfs I found online at a well know market site.. My idea behind the burnt/ dead grass ... is has the the Death Guard move forward the pox and disease and death spreads from them and kills ever living thing... You will need super glue to attach these to the base... Yes the turfs have some tacky glue on them...but I find superglue holds them better...

We are nearly there... The final step before adding your mini is to paint the side... Again you can use any colour you like... But I am going for Steel Legion Drab...



Now you can finally add your mini...and yay you are done...... Also just remember what ever style you choose to do for your army,make sure you stick with it for the whole army......



Now I'm not sure which mini I will be starting this week... So its going to be a guess and wait and see, till next week to see which one I picked... So till next weekend... Goodbye and stay safe...

No comments:

Post a Comment